Sunday, April 19, 2009

About Record Players.



I have received a few messages from gramophone lovers asking me whether Record Players are available in the market and where they can get them . Some of them have asked me the addresses of shops selling them in the U.A.E , as I had mentioned in a previous blog that they are available in UAE. While it is difficult to locate shops selling them exclusively, there are several grey market shops in old Dubai area where one can buy them.They can also be acquired in bigger and more popular music shops in UAE against specific orders. Regular contacts and follow up with dealers will facilitate mattters. In fact Gramophone/Record Players are even now being made and marketed in several countries.
As the market is now limited only to the enthusiasts, the dealers are not stocking them in large numbers or of different brands. Combo models,viz., Record player,Radio,Cassette player,CD,MP3,VCD and DVD player all rolled into one, are also being marketed. In TCM TCHIBO,a shop in OUTLET MALL, DUBAI,I saw a Record Player displayed. I have recently purchased a new BUSH record player from a shop near Naif Police Station and near to Hotel Hyatt Regency in Dubai. It is a new record player cum Radio with built-in amplifier and speakers.It is a simple set weighing about 2.5 kgs.which is portable and easy to operate. The price was also reasonable.A photo of the set is shown above.



5 comments:

raju said...

But does it play 76 rpm records. My father had an antique one, not the usual one with bell shaped loud speaker. It was with my sister. I will check up whether she has it now. Should be there. It was a beutiful piece not seen usually.If it is there, I will try to send you a picture.There is a shop opposite to Regal theatre in Colaba,Mumbai, sellng such things Should be expensive, though. There were some Saigal/Punkaj Mullick 76 rpm records too and records from Jeevitha Nauka. I don't know whether these are still available.

JAYSANKARAN said...

No it won't play 76rpm records.But I have a few other sets for playing 76rpm records. The antique set you refer must be the hand wound box (old suitcase)with the arm and sound box folded and kept inside the box. Some of these sets come with a pouch inside for keeping records.An original set in good working condition may cost about Rs. 5ooo/ now.

Unknown said...

Dear All,
I want to buy a record player with records ( old/new of English Music ...hard rock/classic oldies etc ).
Please tell me how i can buy these...awaiting your respone. my mobile no : 050-6743637..Dubai.
Regards

Nitin

JAYSANKARAN said...

I am now in India. A Bush or Roadstar Record player can be bought at Brit Mart, Naif Dubai. It is near traffic signal towards the sea side.You have to make local search there to get records.

krishnanguruvayur said...

do you know what brand is available in uae . is an ion brand turntable available there